The good folks at BioPak have made it easy for business owners to reduce the environmental impact of their business. In addition to producing high-quality sustainably-sourced disposable packaging, they have created a service that turns your waste into compost.
BioPak have brought together waste contractors and compost facility operators to turn your food waste and compostable packaging into nutritious soil compost for gardens or farms. The weekly collection service not only helps the environment it could also save you money.
BioPak founder, Richard Fine, said the aim of the service was to ensure that the environmental benefit of compostable, single use disposable packaging could be maximised, helping customers in reducing the environmental impact of their business. “In Australia, we send more than eight million tonnes of organic waste to landfill every year, including 1.5 million tonnes of food waste,” Mr Fine said.
What are the benefits of participating in this initiative?
- Composting maintains the delicate balance of the ecosystem as waste decays back into the soil naturally, reducing pollution and increasing soil quality.
- Compost reduces greenhouse gases. When food waste goes to landfills, it cannot decay efficiently and produces methane, a greenhouse gas. Composting these organic materials that have been diverted from landfills reduces the emission of methane into the environment. The large amount of methane gas in our atmosphere is a known contributor to global warming.
- Composting improves soil quality. Composting is known to regenerate poor soil by encouraging the production of beneficial micro-organisms (mainly bacteria and fungi), which then break down organic matter to create humus. Humus helps retain moisture and naturally increases the nutrient content in soil. As a result, food grown in composted soil has shown to contain more nutrients and be more beneficial to eat.
- Composting reduces water consumption & chemical fertilizers. Water is at a premium these days and composted soil reduces the amount of water consumed by plants. Composting can also reduce plant diseases and pests, lessening the need for expensive chemicals and fertilizers.
- Composting saves you money – it costs less than sending it to landfill.
Sydney Packaging sells the entire range of BioPak products. Click here https://www.sydneypackaging.com.au/eco-friendly/ to view our range of environmentally products.
For more information on the BioPak composting service, visit: http://biopak.com.au/green/biopak-compost-service